Day 5
May 1, 2009
Lorton, Virginia

Today I was off the bike.  The weather was rainy, and dark, as the front finally started closing in on the Metro area.  David is a high ranking staff member for the Capital, and supervises the everyday functions like the cafeterias, and the new the 600 million dollar visitor center.

We rode into the city and he gave us a tour of the new center.  A very impressive showpiece.  You can now learn more about the capital and Washington then you ever wanted to know.  
Rained off and on all day.

Day 6
May 2, 2009
Lorton, Virginia

Spent the first part of the day lounging around the house and playing pool, while Debbie and Cathy went shopping.
Attended Michael's soccer game in the late afternoon.  Supper was a nice sports bar near Fairfax.
 I was already getting anxious to get back on the road.  Still raining.  "I'll start watching the weather closer tomorrow."

Day 7
May 3rd, 2009
Lorton, Virginia

Debbie and I were up early for Mass at St. Raymond Penafort.  A huge parish.  The nuns at Christ The King use to tell us, and my experience backs it up, "God is going to put you where ever you put Him."  If you put Him 3 or 4 on the list, because you don't feel like getting up and going to church on Sunday, have other stuff to do, or you're out of town and too much trouble, that lets him know He's not a very high priority and he puts you down on His list accordingly.  Not saying He won't help you, but you get out what you put in.  All I know is when I make Him a priority, good things happen, and I get what I need, and most of what I want.   And most of the time, there was no evidence prior it could ever happen, but it did.

I drove Cathy and Megan down the Eastern Shore of Maryland (75 miles one way) for Megan's game, and Debbie went with David to Michael's.  It rained most of the day.

Because I wouldn't be back in time to take Debbie to the airport,  we said our goodbyes when we split.  
Michael and I spent most of the evening playing Halo.

I was due to head back south in the morning, but the forecast didn't look good.  The rain was backed up all the way to the Mississippi River.  I was doubtful I'd be able to get back on the road.

Day 8
May 4th, 2009
Lorton, Virginia

At 6am I was checking the weather from my Iphone.  "Not going anywhere today," it was hopeless.  Going south, it was raining all the way to Alabama, and not ending anytime soon.  Not only was it wet, it was cool, temps in the 50s.  "I'm not riding in this."  One good thing about being retired, what you can't do today, you can just do tomorrow. I rolled over and went back to sleep till 8am.

I sat around on the computer and TV all day.  I had the house to myself.  Plenty to eat, 300 channel digital big screen, internet, not a bad place to be stuck, but I what I really wanted to do was ride.
When David came home we went to work on the GPS bracket.  It was stuck, and not fully opening.  We fixed by it flipping the bracket up manually with a finger, releasing the clamp.  It was still sticking, but at least I knew how to resolve it.

It had been a long day, and I was ready to get back on the road.  I'll be heading south early tomorrow, making my usual ride to Gatlinburg.  Over 500 miles.